Division of Flooding and Poverty
Climate change and increased flood hazards will drive increased poverty in the 21st Century. Through the study of displaced populations, disrupted economies, water-borne illnesses and the loss of ecosystem services and infrastructure caused by flooding, UC Blum Center Scholars are utilizing big-data to identify solutions to mitigate flood risk, foster peace and stability in flood-affected communities and empower citizens to action through widely-accessible information and leadership.
Projects & Team
Latest News & Research
In the News: New York Times on California Flooding
Following the influx of rainfall in California, The New York Times released an article about the flooding. The article, split into two sections: the immediate and the long-term, gives an overview of what California is currently enduring and what we should expect...
In the News: Dr. Brett Sanders Comments on Flooding for NBC
In an article published this week by NBC, Dr. Brett Sanders, UC Irvine Blum Center leading researcher on flooding, was interviewed regarding the devastating flooding and rainfall in California. Although we are beginning to see some effects now, Sanders said it may...
Blum Center Researchers Team with Other UCs to Assess Flood Risks and Management in Metropolitan LA
Nicola Ulibarri headed up a team of researchers from University of California campuses in Irvine, San Diego, and Riverside that published a new journal article outlining ‘flood problem framing’ to aid in the decision-making process for flood aid specifically in the...
Brett Sanders (B.S., University of California, Berkeley; M.S., University of Michigan; Ph.D., University of Michigan) is a Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of California, Irvine. Sanders’ research group specializes in the development of innovative algorithms for flow and transport in river and coastal systems and the integration of information technologies to create more accurate and efficient simulation tools.
View a list of FloodRISE research outputs including papers and other achievements HERE.
View a list of FloodRISE engagement outputs, including consultations and conference presentations HERE.
- California’s aging dams face new perils, 50 years after Sylmar quake crisis (LA Times)
- ‘Expect More’: Climate Change Raises Risk of Dam Failures (New York Times)
- Researchers find collaborative flood modeling process effective (National Science Foundation)
- UCI, other researchers find collaborative flood modeling process effective (UCI News)
- Beach dynamics (UCI News)
- Scientists from UC Campuses Study Floods, Flood Socioeconomics (Spectrum News)
- What Is a Nuisance Flood, Exactly? (Eos)
- In a warming climate, ocean- and land-based floods are a disastrous duo, UCI researchers find (UCI News)
- Over time, nuisance flooding can cost more than extreme, infrequent events (UCI News)
No positions are currently available.