Tuesday, April 24, 2018: OPENING GALLERY RECEPTION AND HOMELESSNESS PANEL
Viewpoint Gallery · 6:00-8:30 p.m. · RSVP
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. – Reception
- 7:00-8:00 p.m. – Panel
- 8:00-8:30 p.m. – Q&A
In celebration of the publication of InSight, the student team invites you all to their first official launch event. We will be holding an art gallery reception on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. It will be at the Viewpoint Gallery at UC Irvine Student Center. Snacks will be provided.
Immediately following the gallery reception, we have a panel joining us to share their experiences and encounters with homelessness. Speakers include:
- Kaleb Havens – activist and member of LA Catholic Worker, primarily fighting for homeless rights in Skid Row (Los Angeles). He recently engaged in a 46-day water only Hunger Strike to protest against the city and county of Los Angeles and their failure to care for the needs of the homeless community and to tend to the housing crises affecting the city.
- Patrick Hogan – activist and writer for the homeless specifically in the Orange County Riverbed. At the riverbed, considered society’s underbelly, he was able to witness humanity and experience humility through the stories he heard there.
- Sheena Innocente – formerly homeless in the Orange County, but is now a social worker. Innocente uses her life story and experience of homelessness to advocate for the homeless in the OC.
- Mohammed Aly – local attorney & the founder of Orange County Poverty Alleviation Coalition. With a deeply rooted passion for homeless people, Aly not only advocates for civil rights for the homeless, but immerses himself in community to build relationships with the homeless.
- Brooke Wietzman – attorney at the Elder Law and Disability Rights Center in Santa Ana and a UC Irvine School of Law alumna. She is an advocate for the prevention of the removal of homeless encampments along the Santa Ana River Trail.
Wednesday, April 25, 2018: Q&A WITH JUSTINO MORA OF UNDOCUMEDIA
Viewpoint Gallery · 7:00-8:30 p.m. · RSVP
Join us on Wednesday, April 25 from 7:00-8:30 p.m. at the Viewpoint Gallery for a talk and Q&A about Identity and Media with Justino Mora and Ivan Ceja, the co-founders of UndocuMedia. UndocuMedia was created to share information, through various forms of media, that pertains to legislation that addresses and affects the undocumented community.
Thursday, April 26, 2018: ART AND ACTIVISM WORKSHOP WITH JENNY DOH
Viewpoint Gallery · 4:30-6:00 p.m. · RSVP
Come learn about Art & Activism on Thursday, April 26 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. at the Viewpoint Gallery from artist and UC Irvine professor Jenny Doh. This event will include a hands-on art activity to create a self-portrait while discussing art’s connection with identity politics.