Immersive Field Study
Announcing an Immersive Field Study Opportunity in La Paz, Mexico
Next offered in Winter 2018
Photo Credit: Aditi Mayer, Spring 2016 Immersive Field Study Student
Blum Center Director Richard Matthew has developed a field study site in La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Through the UCI Blum Center for Poverty Alleviation and the School of Social Ecology, students from all majors are invited to enroll in an immersive field study program conducted at the partner site in La Paz, Mexico, where students will work with community-based organizations on local projects in the areas of urban development, environmental restoration and management, and public health.
The program offers 12 units of credit and allows the students to spend about five weeks preparing for field study while on campus at UCI, and about five weeks at the site in La Paz, Mexico. Students will have the opportunity to live in a secure field camp and assist UC faculty conducting research related to sustainable development, human development, and community development.
Part of the School of Social Ecology Immersive Field Study. Learn more HERE.
This immersive field study opportunity will be offered for students in Winter 2018. In order to participate, students must:
- APPLY by Friday, October 6th.
- INTERVIEW with a program director or Blum Center representative.
- ENROLL in the 12 units provided by the Immersive Field Study program for Winter Quarter 2018.
- (Note: Generally, participating students are NOT able to complete on-campus courses during a quarter in immersive field study, given the time spent off-campus in La Paz, Mexico. However, in some cases, students have made individual arrangements with professors.)
- TRAVEL to La Paz, where students will perform field study for about 5 weeks during Winter Quarter 2018.
- (Note: Travel expenses will be partially or fully covered by the Immersive Field Study program.)
We will host an online information session in summer 2017. To receive details on the information session, sign up here.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.